About the project
The "Stone" project is financed by the EU through the IPA cross-border cooperation program Croatia - Bosnia and Herzegovina.
The main partners of the project being: Development Agency of the Split-Dalmatia County RERA SD in the Republic of Croatia and the Development Agency of the West Herzegovina County HERAG from Bosnia and Herzegovina (BIH).
Besides the main partner institutions, numerous project partners are involved in the implementation of the project, including our School: Croatian Chamber of Commerce - Split County Chamber (RH), Herzegovina-Neretva Canton Chamber of Economy in Mostar (BIH), and HGK-ŽK Dubrovnik and Zadar County Development Agency ZADRA.
The total value of the project "Stone" is 560,478.03 euros or approximately 4,150,000.00 kn.
The EU funds 85% of the total value of the project, and 15% are the project beneficiaries' funds.
The project has emerged as a response to numerous problems in the stone processing and exploitation sector such as:
- Insufficient institutional cooperation for a long-term sustainability planning and the implementation of development projects in cross-border regions
- Lack of a systematically designed database as a basis for planning future activities in the development of the stonemasonry sector
- Lack of mutual cooperation of small and medium enterprises in the sector of exploitation and processing of stone in terms of development of export services and joint market presence
- A rising level of imports of processed stone products on the one hand and increasing export of primary raw materials on the other hand
- Shortage of legal quarry fields for stone exploitation
- Insufficient public sector services in terms of access to finance, support for technological innovation and encouragement of networking and cooperation of SMEs
- The problem of skilled labor shortage in the stonemasonry sector
- Lack of education system in the BiH federation that could meet the needs of the stone processing and exploitation sector.